Monday, April 13, 2009
A Tragic Lack of Representation
American culture has infiltrated South East Asia in every aspect. People know the details of Obama's economic stimulus package, US unemployment rates and the capital cities of every state in America. They love American music, from Katy Perry to Nirvana to the Eagles to Jay-Z. People know the intimate details of movie stars' lives, including baby names and latest films. They eat at KFC, Starbucks, Diary Queen and the Hard Rock Cafe. Yet the majority of the South East Asian people I met were shocked to find out I was American. They simply don't meet American people travelling. Whether it's because Americans are more likely to teach or work abroad for a year or two than travel, or just because Americans find it difficult to leave the biggest and best country in the world to see what else is out there, is undetermined. Either way, for the first time in my travels I told people I was American and they were pleasantly surprised. The US is starting to regain respect from the rest of the world, making now an ideal time to travel the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment