Monday, February 16, 2009

24 hours in Hoi An

Last weekend I took a quick trip to Hoi An, along the central coast of Vietnam. I took an overnight sleeper train, which, because I booked a "hard sleeper," was 6 bunks, stacked 3 high, in a tiny tiny room. The bed above you was so close that you couldn't sit up...only lie horizontal or stand up. The way down was not so bad, it took a measly 14 hours to get to Da Nang (the closest town, which is about 45 minutes away by motorbike). On the way back, it took around 16. When I got to the train station, some very sweet Vietnamese folks in my bunk offered me a ride to Hoi An - they seemed nervous that I was planning on taking a xe om instead of a real taxi. The 24 hours I actually had in the town were well spent. I got some clothes hand tailored, met some fantastic people and ended up at a georeous beach club with a bonfire. I wish I could say the same for the 30 hours I spent abord the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment